January 25th 2021.
12 x lessons: Monday 7pm – 10pm.
Enrol on course
Change the payment option from the dropdown menu below to view further information.
Start dates and course fees
October 13th 2020 Wednesday lessons 7pm – 10pm January 25th 2021 Monday lessons 7pm – 10pm Start dates alternate between Mondays and Wednesdays throughout the year. Book in for a call with a course advisor to discuss your full timetable. +44 (0)161 833 4722 Instant Decision Monthly Finance (credit check required) Minimum 5% downpayment of £26 1: 6 months: £84/month. Total finance: £499 2: 12 months: £42/month. Total finance: £499 3: 24 months: £23/month. Total finance: £550 4: £525 advance payment.
Options One – Three
Payable upon successful application.
Fund your own training (no credit check required)
October 13th 2020
Wednesday lessons 7pm – 10pm
January 25th 2021
Monday lessons 7pm – 10pm
Start dates alternate between Mondays and Wednesdays throughout the year.
Book in for a call with a course advisor to discuss your full timetable.
+44 (0)161 833 4722
Instant Decision Monthly Finance (credit check required)
Minimum 5% downpayment of £26
1: 6 months: £84/month. Total finance: £499
2: 12 months: £42/month. Total finance: £499
3: 24 months: £23/month. Total finance: £550
4: £525 advance payment.
Monthly finance calculator
You can use the finance calculator to try the potential options that suit your budget.
There is a minimum of 5% non-refundable deposit (downpayment for the course fees) required from the student at the point of successful application. The calculator will tell you minimum deposit required on the right hand side. To pay a bigger deposit please contact the school.
EG: Electronic Music Composition. Fees: £525
£525 over 6 months : Deposit £26.25 : Monthly instalments of £83.12. Total finance: £498.75.
When should I enrol?
In short: enrol as soon as you are ready. All live course dates are available for you to enrol on.
Unlike most training centres SEM has a limit on lecturer to student ratio and keeps its class sizes small. We therefore have limited availability and courses fill up in advance. We would recommend enrolling as soon as you are ready, to avoid disappointment.
Options 1 – 3: If you are funding with monthly finance with Omni Capital
- Apply online now via the course page, this will take you to Omni Capital’s page for the finance side of the application.
- Your finance decision should be immediate.
- Monthly repayments to Omni Capital do not begin until 1 month after your finance application has been accepted.
- The initial downpayment is paid to SEM, which is required once your finance application has been accepted.
Option 4: If you are funding yourself (no credit check)
- Enrol online, this will prompt you for the full amount.
If you have any questions please contact a course advisor on +44 (0)161 833 4722. They will be happy to help!
Can I get funding for the course?
If you have any questions, we would always recommend contacting a course advisor or calling us on +44 (0)161 833 4722.
Options 1 – 3: Get instant monthly finance with Omni Capital (the finance applicant will need to be in employment)
Prospective students are able to get an instant online decision to fund training though our partner Omni Capital.
Please note, the person applying for Omni Capital finance does not have to be the student, for example a parent could apply for finance on behalf of a student. In a case like this, the student should enter their student details on the SEM enrolment page, but when the application then goes across to Omni Capital’s website, the finance applicant should enter their details at this point. Speak with a course advisor if you would like assistance in going through the application.
Benefits of the monthly finance are that the baseline course price is based on our ‘advanced’ cheaper price – although payment durations longer than 12 months will have interest of 9.9% applied (this is already factored into the monthly pricing you see on the course page). Please note Omni Capital will undertake a credit check when you apply for finance.
To apply, you must be 18 or over, earning over £5000 annually and have been living in the UK for at least 3 years before your course starts. Omni Capital will also take into consideration additional factors such as your credit score. If you are uncertain about whether applying for the finance is right for you, please contact a course advisor first.
- Apply by selecting the course start date, and the monthly payment duration that best suits your situation
- Click ‘Enrol on Course’
- On the second page, fill out your student details. At the bottom of the page select ‘Monthly Payments Omni Capital’.
- This will reveal a dropdown. Select the monthly payment duration again.
- Then select ‘Apply Now’
- This will take you through to Omni Capital’s site to complete the finance application – a decision on the finance is normally instant.
- Assuming your finance is accepted, you will need to pay:
- The downpayment to SEM immediately
- The monthly payments to Omni Capital do not begin for 28 days. We always advise ringing them on 0333 240 8318 to confirm the date of your direct debit.
You will need to pay a minimum 5% downpayment on the course fees to SEM at the point of successful finance application, although you have the option to make anything up to a 50% downpayment on course fees (a larger downpayment will make your monthly instalments cheaper). Should you wish to make a larger downpayment, contact SEM instead of applying online, as we will need to setup a bespoke application.
Option 4: Fund the course yourself
There is no credit check involved with this option.
If you have not lived in the UK for the past three years, or have low or no credit score, then this option may be relevant for you as you may not qualify for Omni Capital finance. At SEM’s discretion, we may be able to discuss a direct monthly payment plan between yourself and SEM, as an additional alternative. Please contact us promptly to discuss this.
Read before enrolling : Course FAQ
Suitability for this course
This course is delivered on Ableton Live. You will need a basic working knowledge of Ableton Live to attend the course.
If you are a total beginner to music production
…and have not made music before at all using a DAW, then it will not be suitable for you to take the Electronic Music Composition course just yet. Take a look at our beginner friendly Online Music Production Courses. If you prefer to train in-house, our Ableton Live Short Course or some 1-2-1 training prior to the Electronic Music Composition Course would be suitable.
You may alternatively want to consider doing a course that covers everything – both music production and music composition. Our Complete Music Production Course is a very popular option which does this. Take a look at our Music Production courses here. We would encourage you to book a call with a course advisor to discuss the best options.
If you have made music before using a DAW, but just not using Ableton Live
We would suggest the following:
- Download the 1-month free trial of Ableton Live
- Enrol for the Electronic Music Composition Course
- Notify us as soon as you have enrolled that you are not familiar with Ableton Live, as we can provide you with a set of basic Ableton Live training videos to prepare you. You will need to ensure that you can do the following before the Electronic Music Composition Course starts:
- Be familiar with using a Mac
- Create/edit MIDI Clips
- Work with instruments/v. basic sound design (filters envelopes LFO)
- Arm tracks
- Apply FX
- Apply basic sampling and working with audio
- Edit arrangements (i.e dragging/resizing clips/loops copy + paste, automation etc)
If you do not have a Mac at home, please do not worry. It is simply some basic shortcuts and mouse buttons that will be different from a PC. When enrolling, please notify us if you do not have a Mac. We can allow you some Midi Lab access to prior to the course so that you can familiarise yourself with a Mac and get assistance from our Tech Support team.
There is no wheelchair access for this course at present, please contact SEM for alternative arrangements.